Marketing II - What are Visitor Metrics?

Marketing II - What are Visitor Metrics?


Marketing II - What are Visitor Metrics?

25.10.2011


We have discussed in our previous article the five basic website metrics to monitor and calculate the progress rate and sales of your executive website. In this article we will focus on the specific visitor metrics, as these visitors are the foundation of any website's long term success.

Do you have a “sticky” website? Are more visitors returning frequently to the website, or is there a higher proportion of new visitors over a specific time range? ( a month to month basis is one of the best ways to monitor visitor trends) Of course, repeat visitors confirm that a website is appealing and regular updates are obviously expected. However, too many repeat visitors and not enough new mean that a business is not expanding. A good balance for your website traffic should be 5% to 15% repeat visitors, with the remaining percentage as unique visitors. 85% potential new leads.

Traffic sources too, elaborate the sources from which visitors are finding your specific website. Direct traffic from links on other websites, or search engines? Good SEO should ensure a high percentage of traffic from search engines, thanks to keyword relevancy and density. Monitoring the source that is the majority of website traffic allows a business to evaluate the tools that are working, and those that aren't. A high importance should always be placed on SEO, meta keywords and meta descriptions: two of the most powerful tools in website marketing. Knowing which keywords generate the most traffic, and what proportion of traffic comes from these, is a key area of knowledge, particularly when it comes to updating and adding new content to a website.

Going deeper into the specific metrics, one must consider how many new customers are becoming leads, and then to sales? This is known as a 'conversion rate', and is vitally important. How many visitors fulfil your desired outcome (such as buying a product) and how many simply bounce back out of your homepage? Here, an appealing and informative home page can often dramatically increase this conversion rate, and increase the business' sales and profits.

Pageviews are similar to visitors, in that trends can develop that would not have been expected. For example, a company profile or 'about' page is often received one of the highest viewings of an entire website. From the pageviews that receive the most hits, or clicks, you can establish what pull-factors are drawing visitors here, and through this you better utilise the content of the lesser ranking web pages to increase their own views. Important pages, such as product pages, and pages from which sales and leads are generated, should be closely monitored, and regularly updated. Not only can content be modified to be more engaging, and more suited for SEO, but unnecessary and dead content can be removed. This can encourage a visitor to move on to the next page of your website, which could easily lead to a potential sale.

At Zheta International, utilising all of these marketing metrics is standard when building a dynamic website for a client. After an initial consultation with the clients to pinpoint target markets, keywords and phrases, and competitors, we provide the clients with the knowledge to utilise these tools to expand a website's business potential and profit, and a unique insight that will surely place him on a pedestal high above his competitors.

Share:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share on Pinterest

Recommend:

Recommend by Email Recommend to Google

Subscribe:

  • Technologies
  • HTML5
  • CSS3
  • Ajax
  • Javascript
  • JQuery
  • XML
  • MySQL
  • PHP
  • WordPress
  • Magento
  • Google for Businesses